Monday, August 9, 2010

Rush!!


Thank you to Lee for giving me the opportunity to enjoy my very first rock concert! Last Thursday Lee and I gathered ourselves and the kids up and traveled northward to see Rush in concert. Thank you to my sissy for watching the kids! Lee got the tickets on a whim a few weeks ago and since the day of the concert was the day before Cara and Nathan's anniversary, we exchanged kid watching with them and watched their kids the next evening. It worked out well if you ask me! =0)


About the experience: This is the view I pretty much had for the whole evening, a good shot down to the stage framed by these two winners. Yeah, let's say we weren't impressed! Lee and I made our way to Usana amphitheater and got to our seats about 20 minutes before the show started. We had great sound from where we were sitting and we amused ourselves by counting mullets and being impressed by the range of people in attendance. There were (of course) a significant amount of 50 somethings but the range went from teenagers up to geriatrics. Lee looked to see how many other people he could see with his vintage 2112 shirt on and even told some kid with a Pink Floyd shirt on that he was at the wrong concert, the funny thing is...the kid said, "Sorry man!"
Anyway, we were getting ready to start and a 70's leftover guy with shoulder length gray hair and two young men (obviously his sons) and a young woman came to sit down in front of us. Since I was sitting and the young woman was in front of me, I was greeted with a lovely view of her backside, thong and all. Now I might have been more understanding if she was really cute, with a cute little body...eh, she really wasn't! Okay, strike one. This people seemed totally disinterested in sitting at all and in fact stood...all the way through the concert, 3 and a half hours! Strike 2. I mean it's a rock concert, you stand during rock concerts, you sing the songs, you pump your fists in the air...no, I really get it. Honestly though, I think the people in front of us were probably were the only people that didn't actually sit at some point! 3 and a half hours standing in one place on the concrete, I sat down a couple of times and just listened!;0) Standing was one thing, but the 70's leftover Dad insisted upon leaning over and yelling into his son's ear (um, yeah...rock concert!) constantly and Lee, tired of them blocking his view resorted to singing loudly (and off key) every time he did it, until he got the hint! Strike 3, yep now I'm making fun of your antics on my blog! Ha!


Okay, so we've made fun of the people in front of us enough...now we can make fun of the guy next to me! I didn't ever look over at him, but was very aware that he had at least two beers while he was there and he was a very large man. During the first half of the concert he was just fine, stood next to me and sang, pumped his fists, semi-absorbed the shrill of the cat-call whistler behind me threatening to deafen my right ear, but the second half of the concert was another story! The light show was getting good and Rush was playing some of their more popular hits and the guy next to me decided to start dancing. Dancing would have been fine if he was doing it front to back, but nooooo....he had to dance side to side. I was getting really tired of getting bumped into constantly and was already standing on top of Lee. I yelled in Lee's ear what was going on and Lee glared his direction and put his arm around my shoulders so that his hand would get bumped into instead of my shoulder. The large, drunk man began swaying more and more into me and I felt Lee hold out his hand into a fist. The large, drunk man swayed into Lee's fist and bounced off undeterred. He continued to sway and Lee continued to keep his hand in a fist and before the man finally stopped swaying so bad, Lee was actually punching the guy as he crashed into us! He must have gotten the hint because he backed off a bit!
We took off early before the band came out for an encore in hopes of getting out of the parking lot in a timely manner. We got totally lost trying to find our car and I ended up with two pink hi-tops full of fox tails before we figure out where we were supposed to be going! The concert was great though, despite the obnoxious people in front of us and next to me and hi-tops full of fox tails! As far as experiences this was really fun and now I can say...yep, I've been to a rock concert...ROCK ON!!! =0) Thanks baby it was fun!! ;0)

5 comments:

  1. I find it near impossible to believe that you just barely attended your first rock concert?! How is this possible?! haha Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what can I say...uh, I grew up in Page? LOL! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about the "people" you had to deal with... should I classify them as "people"? that's probably an insult! anywho glad you somewhat injoyed your self... and yes it must be the whole "I grew up in Page" thing as well... never been either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what Jess? I just went to my first on July 31, Aerosmith. I cant say that the people were a problem but we definitely had the same age range. It was kinda funny to see guys that looked old enough to be my grandpa rocking out to the concert. I think if I go to another its going to have to be a more current group though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel better knowing I wasn't the ONLY one who had just gone to my first concert! Just spent far too many of my adult years dirt poor and raising babies! It was a great experience despite the "people" we had to deal with! LOL!

    ReplyDelete