Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Weekend 2010


At my Grandparent's grave in Kanab

My Grandpa Johnson on my 4th birthday I believe

Our last Thanksgiving with my Grandma Johnson

The kids were chasing Lee and caught up with him finally!

Chowing down at the rest stop above Glendale in Orderville Canyon

Scenic Hwy 89

We mostly stuck close to home over the Memorial Weekend Holiday, hauled gravel, worked in the yard. There was one thing I haven't been able to do for the last few years and really didn't want to waste the opportunity.
My beloved Grandpa Johnson passed away just before I graduated from high school. He had been ill for quite some time, so we knew it was coming...as did he. Just a couple of weeks before he passed away, he asked that each one of his grandchildren be brought to him, so that he could say good-bye. Being the oldest grandchild, the gravity of the situation hit me the hardest. I knew he was going to die and even though I believe I will have the opportunity to see him again, it wasn't going make me miss him any less. 14 years later, I still miss him and now my Grandma, just as much as I ever did. Funny, I didn't cry when I was there at their graveside this weekend, I am not doing so well now. Since we were in Kanab and I purposely don't drive past my Grandparents house anymore, I decided that I would do so this weekend and share a few tidbits of memories and facts with the kids who were all too little to remember. I wish they had been able to meet Lee as well, they would have loved him.
Okay, I have wiped my eyes now and I can go on telling you what I was going to in the first place! It used to be a tradition that on Memorial Day, we would go with my Mom and visit the graves of long gone relatives. We'd place wreaths and or flowers on their graves and remember them. I haven't had the opportunity to do so myself in several years, being stuck working mostly. This year I couldn't let the opportunity go past. So, on Sunday afternoon after church we loaded up a picnic lunch in our loaner truck and took a drive to Kanab. We stopped by the cemetery and drove past my Grandparents' house (it looks great BTW!) and took a drive up 89 to the Cedar Mountain turnoff, before rolling over the mountain to Cedar and back to Dixie. Our family drove up 89 to Cedar Mountain frequently as children and I believe it's been over a decade since I've been able to do it myself! Wow! I AM old! I love to view the trees and the green pastures along the way to Mount Caramel and Orderville and Glendale before rolling past the Alton turnoff (which is usually as far down that direction as I ever go anymore). We stopped at the Rest Stop just above Glendale for our picnic and were able to let the kids run around and enjoy the cool breeze among the pines.
I don't know that Lee appreciated it the way I did, ("you mean we went 214 miles?") but that is what we did as a family. We traveled to scenic places and enjoyed the journey growing up. Life is hectic and full of answering e-mails, running errands, ringing phones, and far too much noise. We grew up simply and enjoyed each other. I want my kids to appreciate the simple things in life, the beauty of God's country, and the importance of family. Live life to it's fullest, appreciate the simple things in life, love each other deeply.

2 comments:

  1. We had a good life growing up didn't we? ENjoying nature is something I hope I am passing onto my kids as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tradition that is! I lost my grandparents in '07 and '08 and I still can't go back to Cottonwood (where they lived). My dad now lives in that house and I just can't bring myself to do it. I love my grandparents more than anyone and their loss has been a great challenge to me. One day I'll get there I'm sure.

    Sorry times have been rough for you recently...I know that empty feeling. Good job on passing things on to your kids...it will mean the world to them!

    ReplyDelete