Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm not cool...

Shocker, yes I know, but true none-the-less. I'm not concerned with the latest trends in fashion or what is "in" on the political scene. I'm much happier with dressing in what I like and what looks good on me than what everyone else seems to be wearing. Even if my wardrobe consists of men's sweaters and converse sneakers, with the ugliest socks you've ever seen...and it's a rare day that you'll find me without some bright color on as well. Obama, love him or hate him or follow the advice of your church leaders and support him...it makes no difference to me. My concern is for my family who I draw close to me and prepare for times rougher than today's, not in yelling louder than the opposition's leaders.
I don't have great things to say and no one admires my wit, but I remain happy in my skin and laugh the loudest at my own jokes. I'm happy with life in general and I really am overly opinionated on many subjects. I just have learned over the years that it's only worth making your opinions known if you want to hear everyone else yell theirs back to try to change yours. I have found over the years that I have a tendency to be quite cynical. I have had a few rough years to wade through and emerged relatively unscathed...other than not much shocks me any more! I don't live a sheltered life myself, but try to keep my kids sheltered. I don't want them growing up knowing that there is a lot of bad in the world and to be afraid of their own shadows...I try very hard to let them be kids and imagine and play and when something happens that they question, I am honest with them. I never want any of them to grow up thinking, why didn't Mom tell me this? I want them to be independent and able to fend for themselves.
I laugh at myself daily and I'm not concerned with general public's opinion of me. I'm a klutz and I'm quirky, I make messes and I think strange things are funny. As a child I was always so concerned with whether or not people liked me and I was always so afraid I would mess up someplace. So much in fact that I really let those things hold me back and missed out on just having fun, not anymore. I'm not perfect, I will never be...you can take me or leave me, I'll just remain to be me.
So, I'm not cool...I don't wish to be. I'm the converse wearing, glasses faced, freckly, bright colors loving, opinionated, well-read, Mom driving the mini-van with the snoopy decals. The same Mom who loves her kids and wishes them to be the very best adults possible so they can make a difference in the world. Of course in the meantime, I'll be watching them making a boat out of a cardboard box in the yard as they imagine a vast sea full of pirates and white-capped waves lapping at the oar made out of a broom...before jumping on to the trampoline to make their escape. =0)

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jessica, I really enjoyed reading it. I have to respectfully disagree, however.

    How can you say you aren't cool? Everything that you've just shared is VERY cool! You're a braver soul than I, that's for sure. I admire you for a lot of reasons.

    So you aren't perfect...pshaw...welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete